EFTA01122621.pdf
dataset_9 pdf 164.5 KB • Feb 3, 2026 • 1 pages
theguardian
Syrian civil war death toll rises to more than
191,300, according to UN
A Syrian man cries as he sits oamong the rubble of a building following a reported barrebbomb attack by Assadforces in
Aleppo earlier this month
AP: 22 August 2014
The death toll from Syria's civil war has risen to more than 191,300 people, the United
Nations has said. The figures for March 2011 to April 2014 are the first to issue by the
UN's human rights office since July 2013, when it documented more than 100,000 killed.
The UN's top human rights official, Navi Pillay, who oversees the Geneva-based office,
said the figures are so much higher because they include additional killings from earlier
periods, as well as deaths since the last report. The exact figure of confirmed deaths is
191,369, Pillay said. "As the report explains, tragically it is probably an underestimate of
the real total number of people killed during the first three years of this murderous
conflict," she said.
Pillay, the UN high commissioner for human rights, criticized what she described as the
world's "paralysis" over the fighting in Syria, which "has dropped off the international
radar" in the face of so many other armed conflicts. In January, her office said it had
stopped updating the death toll, blaming a lack of access in Syria and its inability to verify
source material. It was unclear why it has released new figures now. The UN also would
not endorse anyone else's count, including the widely quoted figures from the Britain-
based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which has closely counted the deaths since
Syria's crisis began in March 2011. On Thursday, the observatory said the number of
deaths has reached 180,000.
EFTA01122621
Entities
0 total entities mentioned
No entities found in this document
Document Metadata
- Document ID
- 33810c6f-6eaa-4637-b66f-5fce5f6f17c1
- Storage Key
- dataset_9/EFTA01122621.pdf
- Content Hash
- 7c3b08aa661413c340009382c119ab24
- Created
- Feb 3, 2026